We don´t know exactly when the monastic grammar school was founded. According to the preserved documents we deduce it was in the beginning of the fourteenth century - aroud 1306. It was attended by the famous czech personalities, such as Arnošt of Pardubice, who served as the first Prague Archbishop in the middle of the 14th century, writer Alois Jirásek and the first Czechoslovak Minister of Finance, Alois Rašín.
Closed in the 15th century
While the school was closed in the 15th century due to the Hussite wars that ravaged the land, it was reopened in 1624 after the uprising of the Bohemian Estates from 1618 to 1620 during the Thirty Years’ War. (Holy Roman Emperor Matthias appointed Ferdinand as his heir, which caused a major fuss among the Protestants because Ferdinand abhorred Protestantism.) In the early 17th century Protestants constructed their own church near the Lower Gate, causing much tension. Even though Emperor Ferdinand II ordered it to be shut down and put some rebels in prison, the church remained open. This Catholic-Protestant conflict in Broumov helped trigger the Prague defenestration of vice-governors on May 23, 1618, when the two representatives Ferdinand had sent to oversee the Czech government at Prague Castle were pushed out a window along with the secretary. This marked the Second Defenestration of Prague and instigated the Bohemian Revolt.
Nazis controlled the monastery
The directors of the Bohemian Estates confiscated the monastery, which was purchased by citizens of Broumov. The complex was returned to the Benedictines after the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, when the Catholics, led by Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II’s army, defeated the Protestant Bohemians. The monastery was in ruins, but was restored. The school was closed in 1939, when the Nazis controlled the monastery. The Benedictines got it back from 1945 to 1948, but then the Communists took over, and during 1950 it became an internment camp for monks.
There is a Café Dientzenhofer, a hall Kreslírna, a ticket office for the guided tours and the offices of local organizations in the building of a former monastic grammar school now.