In 1213 king Ottokar I of Bohemia gave the Broumov region to Benedictines from Břevnov Monastery in Prague. The former fortress was shortly after the year 1300 rebuilt to a monastery in Gothic style.
The Břevnov Monastery was burnt down by the Hussites in 1420 and Abbot Nicholas and some other Benedictines escaped to Broumov. It was an important moment for the Broumov Monastery, because it was preferred to the abbey and united with Břevnov into one single complex. Then it became one of the most important Benedictine monasteries in the Czech territory.
The boom in the history of the monastery was in the turn of the 17th and 18th century. That time is associated with extensive constructions in baroque style. Abbot Thomas Sartorius began with the baroque reconstruction of the conventual church according to the project of Italian architect Martin Allio. The reconstruction of the church was finished in the time of Abbot Othmar Daniel Zinke and two important Bavarian architects Christoph and Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofers continued with the reconstruction of the whole monastery. They also newly built or rebuilt the majority of the churches around Broumov.
The other important project for the monastery was the grammar school, which was opened from the Middle Ages until 1939, when it was closed by Nazis. There were many famous Czech personalities studying during the centuries, for example the first archbishop of Prague Arnošt of Pardubice, historian Bohuslav Balbín, famous writer Alois Jirásek and the first minister of finance of the Czechoslovak Republic Alois Rašín.
The Břevnov-Broumov Abbey was separated in 1939 to the independent Czech Abbey in Břevnov and the German Abbey here in Broumov, because this area was part of the Sudetenland. After 1945 the German Benedictines were expelled from the monastery and settled in Rohr and Lower Bavaria. In 1950 the Broumov Monastery became a concentration camp for priests, monks and nuns of various monastic orders. In that time various horrible reconstructions happened in the monastery, as you will see later for example the wiring in the corridor. Nuns used to work here in Broumov in some factories and a state homestead. When the monastery was given back to Benedictines in 1990, the nuns left to Moravia. However, no Benedictine lives here, because there are only about 30 of them in the Czech Republic and the majority lives in a district Břevnov in Prague.