The monastery in Police nad Metují was founded at the beginning of the 13th century by benedictine monks. The current baroque appearance of the building dates to 1770. Part of the monastery complex is the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The monastery was burned and reconstructed several times. During reconstruction work in 1954 the fresco Christ’s Head from approximately 1300 was discovered, as were a small portal, a sanctuary, and other valuable relics. The entrance to the church is decorated with an Early Gothic portal from the years 1270-1280.